Thursday, June 4, 2009

Something Just Won’t Change

I read somewhere, I can’t remember where and when, but here is how it goes…. “If we don’t change, we don’t grow. If we don’t grow, we aren’t really living.” I am not an advocate of change; I am one of those people (ok, I am a stubborn old donkey) who hate to change. And if I don’t change, I should not be growing and if I am not, I would not be sitting here writing down my latest nonsensical thoughts. So am I changing?

I have this humble thought when I witnessed the latest addition to my small township. Yes, we now have the latest of the series of hypermarkets, Tesco, in town. I don’t remember when but it would seem an eternity when the Brits left us for good, and now they are back. Not to govern us but to give my fellow town folks some stiff competition. Looking at the brighter side, all of us, in one way or another, want to change. I am not suggesting having a fat bank account, nor would I hint the idea of emigrating to a foreign land, or even harping for a leaner weight and get into a better shape. I am thinking along the lines of my fellow kampong folks re-discovering the convenience of free air-conditioning under the baking Malaysian sun. The sad side like it or not, is the imminent danger of big chains affecting the local businesses. Yes, the poor folks who still stood by and, in their shabby stores, providing or have been providing the much sought convenience of the past. Okay it is also equally true that the same poor folks may have, at some distance past, charged you a bomb over some peanuts stuff. That is another story for another time.
Everyone needs to change, sometimes. The problem is, as far as Kulaian is concern, we just don’t know how. I still remember our very first emporium, mini hypermarket, and there was much looting the very first day of business. While shopping in Tesco last weekend, I noticed small stuffs were packed under a magnetized container. Now, if that is not anti-theft, I really don’t know the hidden reason for it to be redundantly packed.

The fact is, I am afraid to say, change is hard. It's difficult to do well, and it's even harder to develop a lifestyle of change. Kulaian have the notoriety to drive contra flow despite being designated as “No Entry.” One of our town’s main artery roads was designated as no entry but after more than 20 years, you still, from time to time, confront on-coming traffic. I was entering Tesco when an apparent fellow resident tried to manoeuvre itself out but through the “No Entry” side. I guess over the years we have developed extreme caution and tolerance towards errant fellow drivers. However, that doesn’t preclude the idea of swearing silently over inconsiderate drivers, I must admit. I couldn’t help but smiled to myself, I haven’t really changed a bit, you know!

I suppose change is here, and change is happening whether we like it or not. As I write, I have to admit it is not about knowing the change; it's being ready for the change. It's not about having the right answers; it's about asking the right questions. But with the much monkey business happening around the country, I really wonder what wrong change has brought upon us!

I leave a thought here for us to digest. “How do we get from where we are, to where we want to be?” Here is the challenge, a Kopi-O from the kopitiam is $1 but it is $2.50 from Old Town Coffee and $7.86 from Starbucks! That is CHANGE, my friend. They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. I am going for to my faithful kopitiam, you want to join me?

No comments: