Saturday, July 25, 2009

Loyar Loyar

If ever I was young again. If ever I was given a second chance in my life. If ever I were to re-live the good old days again, I will brace myself for a law degree. How nice if life were to grant me another chance to do it all over again. How very nice that I will be paid to speak my heart’s content, even when it is complete utter nonsense and still be paid to shut my mouth as well!
And yes, I am proud to say my nephew graduated with a double degree, BA and B. Law, this Wednesday. He is the first in the family to have undergone the law course, and I am sure he will not be the only one. There is another one emerging over the horizon. Which begs the question, what does it take to be a lawyer? Will the square nerds in your class make it to be the very top barrister? Or, could it be the lot that tell lies, brags and make unimaginable excuses that will eventually end up as a lawyer? I will leave it to your imaginations and opinions. To me, you need to be gutsy enough to tell a lie and then live with the lie without any guilt in your own conscience at all. I am not saying my nephew belongs to that category but I suspect he is near enough to be admitted.

Or, should I say, they are 'willing to distort' the truth and gives everyone a perception that they have argued within the context of the law of the day, 'twist the punctuations' to validate their argument? To be fair, they are being paid to confuse ordinary folks like you and me. And to be even fairer, with a fee they can make your day. Cool, isn’t it?
Having said all these, lawyers do ask the dumbest and obvious questions. It is according to the law, they argued, but when you look at it as a layman, hey presto it sounds pretty stupid!

a. Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?
b. The Washington Monument, is it in Washington DC?
c. Your youngest child is twenty one, how old is he?
d. Were you present when your photo was taken?
e. Were you alone, or by yourself?
f. Was you or your friend who was killed in the backstreet that evening?
g. You weren’t there at the time of the murder, is that true?
h. She had two children, both were boys. Were there any girls?
i. The suspect is medium height and had a beard, is he male or female?
J It is possible that he could have been alive and practicing law somewhere.

Guess I have made my points. I am not a sour-grape, and it never crossed my mind to belittle them. As I said before, they are being paid to speak utter nonsense, at least it sounds like it to me. I mean, really, these are the same people who are pass their “Inns of Court” and henceforth could really sound contradictory, especially when what they are saying now may go completely opposite in another case.

And my dad would probably say, “One of my grandsons is a liar …errr…..loyar now.” Haizzzz…….I wished I too was a lawyer…….in my dreams, perhaps. Or, should I say I leave this unfulfilled dream to my son. How does it sound to you, little Abel?

No comments: