Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Resolutions and Wishes

In a few hours, the world will usher the coming of 2009 and with that, a rousing finished to 2008. It was a year of mixed fortunes and someone, out there, must have made trillions out of the financial market if the statement “6 trillions has been wiped out from the global market” is true. It was a year that saw the US elected the first non-white president (makes no difference, actually. I have yet to see another black in his cabinet, think about it!!!) To me, this is absurd. Here is a nation whose citizen made the mistake twice just to be doubly sure and now they chose a greenhorn, as if telling the rest of the world they learned from their mistake. It was also a year that saw five of the Malaysian states going to the oppositions, and with it comes the series of our very own kampong politics. From what I can see, none of these parties are holier than the other. It probably is, to a certain degree, the lesser of two evils. I am not sure what to say except the fact that we are still at the experimental stage. Yes….all at the expense of the rakyat.

Then there is the possibility of recession looming around the corner, but with some consolation from our leaders that the country is immune against such threat. Sure, how bad can it go when you are already at rock bottom? I suspect it may not be the case here, for they are probably too busy fighting inside-out and outside-in for whatever is worth gaining at the very top. I say no more about politics apart the fact that it is filled with dirt and shits, blunders after blunders and sometimes a combo, the dirt-shit-blunder.

Personally, I would recount 2008 as a year when the rich can become poorer and the poor can become even poorer with the only exception if you are already at the poorest. Well established institutions collapsed like a pile of cards and the dominos effect pushes one after another. Mind you, it is a year where you see your investments going fluid, and any cashes on hand is further liquidated by the diminishing value. The worst part of it, you can’t do anything about it except to watch and still counting the losses (the Hang Seng Index dropped by 13500 points during 2008!). I am not a sour-grape; my money is simply hard-earned with sweat and blood. I blame no one for my greed and succumb to the very notion of life being full of surprises that one can never predict what’s coming and going. It is a bit gloomy at the moment, but you can bet something different is over the horizon…….at least we hope it brings more good news.

On the lighter side, I started blogging despite being told all these years of its existence. The reason being I was unable to hold a theme. I wanted to write about politics but I was too naïve and unlearned, or more importantly I don’t want to end up being sued for saying the right thing at the wrong time. I wanted to write more on the nostalgic past, but early Parkinson took the better of me……..what did I just say?? I try to convince myself that I should write something comical but subconsciously being driven to write a combination of both satirical and comical. As it stands, these blogs were nothing more than a personal view designed to amuse oneself in the isolation of being alone. Nothing in it constitutes the notion of modern literacy, nor does it carries the elements of intelligence. Nah, just an ordinary kopi-tiam jargon whereby nobody cares what will transpire from the ordinary topics of chats. It is just a cheeky tease to something more subtle……..SO Beware, you have be warned.

Last but not least, I would like to end this blog with a new year’s resolutions and wishes. I hope to visit my parents more often in the coming year, spend more time with them and take them for a holiday; and good health for all.

HAPPY NEW YEAR and GOOD RIDDANCE 2008!

No comments: