Friday, December 24, 2010

All We Want For Christmas

This Christmas I can't think of anything else but this.......
My brother wrote this touching email in search of my long lost aunt.

Dear Sister Maria,

Thank you very much for spending time to meet me and my sister last month Nov 10 on the case of my auntie given up for adoption. Once again, we apologise for dropping by without prior calling you to make an appointment.

Since our discussion, i have been eagerly awaiting to hear from you and was wondering whether there was any development to your follow up checking of my mother's sister.

To recap, i provide again below some pertinent info that might help with this case. Note names below might vary in spelling :- Father's name - Chew Kong or Chew Yit Kong Mother's name - Chin Foong Long lost daughter - Chien Moi Birth Certificate - issued in Kulai, Johor. Handed to Convent during adoption and should have parent's name as above. Date of Birth - believed to be 16th Feb 1947 Name of Convent - in mandarin translated as "Huang Chia Tian Chu Jiao Tang".

My auntie was brought to the Convent by my late maternal grandfather when she was about 2 years old, probably in 1949 for adoption. Understand the nuns then wore white hat, black gown with alot of bells at bottom of gown. He was told by the Convent that the daughter given up for adoption could be redeemed back anytime before she was 8 years old.

Unfortunately due to very tough times then, she was not redeemed within the 8 years. This was made worse by the fact that my late grandfather went back to China in the early 1950's and since then was not able to return because communism had taken over China. Years passed and it was not until my late grandfather told my mother in late 1980's that she had a sister given up for adoption in Singapore. It was his dying wish that they be reunited one day. My mother did advertise in Singapore Chinese papers then but there was no response received.

My late grandfather passed away in early 1990 without knowing the fate of his long lost daughter. My mother is now 76 years old and her only wish is to be able to locate this sister (only sister left).

You had mentioned that the Convent's archives is now closed and cannot be reopened. My mother and i seek your kind assistance for humanitarian reasons to assist with opening of the archives to retrieve any available info on my long lost auntie so that we know where she is now and attempt to reconcile the sisters which had already been separated for about 61 years now. The privacy reasons that you raised in our discussion is understandable but i consider this more than just a matter of privacy. In everything, there is a closure and solong as we do not know what her current status is, there would be no closure to what my mother is enduring now. I am very sure that in such circumstances, my long lost aunt would be very, very happy to know she has a long lost sister and it is my belief she would jump at the opportunity to be reunited with her.

This is not about taking away someone's else privacy, it is about bringing lots of joy and happiness to 2 sisters. And more importantly, a closure to 61 years of suffering and emotional torment endured by my late grandfather and my mother now. We as children want to do what we can to help her and we wish for your kind help too in this regard.

If she can be located, to overcome the privacy issue, we are prepared for you to first contact her and ask her whether she would want to meet up with her sister. We will respect her decision. Alternatively if you cannot locate her, any leads you can provide to us in respect of her possible whereabouts would be very much appreciated. We will then follow up and investigate ourselves.

On behalf of my mother and siblings, i thanked you for your kind consideration and assistance in this difficult issue which if resolved could bring great joy and happiness to all. We eagerly await to hear from you. May God bless you for your good deeds and best wishes for a merry Xmas/New Year.




MERRY CHRISTMAS AND MAY THE LIGHT OF HOPES SHINE ON ALL OF US.

No comments: