Monday, January 19, 2009

Kong Hee Fat Choy

Today is the 23rd day of the 12th lunar month, a day most of us would let past just like any day of the month. This day is also known as "xiao nian" for the Chinese, which literally means "Little New Year." Traditionally it is an important occasion when people offer sacrifices to the "Kitchen God" who looks after the family's fortunes. Consider this folklore but I now know why the spring cleaning, well before the big day!
I also know the Chinese government gazetted the "chunyun", their version of balik kampung, a week ago. Our balik kampung, together with the Operasi Sikap XIX, is a piece of cake when you actually compare with their massive number of people travelling home before the Chinese New Year. The logistics is simply beyond comprehension. Think of this in a more generic way, demobilizing the entire Malaysia Chinese population is like demobilizing one of their many hundred third tier cities! This year, the Ministry of Communications estimates the number of spring transportation units will hit the unprecedented figure of 2.37 billion (including railway, road and journeys by air). I guess I am to be included in the statistics as I am scheduled to fly to Beijing on Tuesday. That, perhaps, explains why 2.37 billion trips when you only have around 1.4 billion population. Can you imagine how our KLIA and Puduraya handling the same volume? I know, for sure, Puduraya will sink by 2 inches, and KLIA, plus new Labu, taxis will be charging $1000 for a trip to KL. And how many more Sikap personnel are needed?

The thing about the Chinese, especially the younger generation, is that don't treat the lunar New Year as something significant. Whereas in our case, meaning the overseas born Chinese, we would, unquestionably, follow all the rules under the aged old custom. Yes, even if it bears no direct resemblance at all. How strange an irony is that! You take a good look at yourself in front of the mirror, and ask yourself the humble truth. “Which part of you is Chinese?” I am sure many of you will agree, except for the skin tone, we are a different breed of chinese. I say this because I do face the identity crisis in China. The Chinese took me as a foreigner, whilst the foreigner mistook me as Chinese. I can’t say much for a bloke who speaks flawless mandarin (yes, back in kampong my mandarin goes local as fast as instant noodles) in China and yet have great difficulties in reading and writing in Mandarin.

So when a real Chinese ask me if I am going back for "chun jie" or Spring Festival (aiya! We say "guo nian" lah), my instant reply would be “yes.” In their words, “yes, go back to my xiang xia”. Not realizing the kampong I referred was actually out of China. It is really a sad thing because you have subconsciously disassociated yourself from the mainstream Chinese roots. I also have this silly thought that lunar new year must be cold, in a similar way it is unthinkable to have hot Christmas in the southern hemisphere. But I do know CNY in Malaysia is forever hot, the Arctic winds never made it down south. Our seasons are forever summer and occasionally summer with rains! This was despite the fact that mum always say “that’s the winter wind,” and “spring is round the corner.” Mana ada? I guess that was one reason we never say “chun jie” because there simply ain’t no spring in Malaysia.

The other peculiarity about CNY is the reunion dinner. Now it is great to have the entire clan sitting down the round table and feasting the festival. I suppose this is possible if you have members of family within a stone’s throw away. These days, we could be thousands of stone throws away. And making the journey back is perhaps, in the meanest term, a struggle. I mean…look at China, look at the people queuing up for 3 days at the rail stations, all for the reunion dinner? Come on, there must be an easy way, or there must be exemptions. Aged old customs are not a necessity; it can be circumstantial if you must find a word to replace it. The Hongkie version of reunion dinner started just after Christmas! Man, hats off for them, these Hongkies are really innovative when it comes to bending the rules. So what do they do when it comes to New Year’s Eve? They flock overseas for a good holiday. That’s the modern version of CNY as I see it. Well…… they still keep the “fatt choy” word in every sentence they make. Quite remarkable for these resilient lot!
That much I have said. I am not particularly keen in restricting myself to all the rules and customs, but I will make the annual pilgrimage for the sake of my parents. Balik kampung is a must, and I will go back as if it was a norm. And I will pretend to be superstitious in the same manner that I have been brought up, for the sake of the older generation. CNY has its glory and grandeur when I was growing up, these days I probably sleep through it. No, I actually eat through the CNY, with heavy detoxifications in line after the makans and minums, later.
For the Chinese, and the many mockeries of the Chinese English, here is the official Chinese translation blunder as I would imagine.

a. Wan Xi Ruo Yi (Ten Thousand Matters Smooth)
b. Ma Dao Gong Chen (Horse Arrived at Success City)
c. Nian Nian Yu Yue (Year Year Have Plenty or Year Year Have Fish)
d. Bu bu Gao Shen ( Step Step Go Up)
e. Cai Yuan Gun Gun (Luck Wealth Roll Roll or in Singapore jargon Retrenchment Roll and roll)
f. Gong Xi Fa Cai (Wish Happiness Wealth and Money)
Wherever you are, whatever chineseness you have, Gong Xi Fa Cai or Kung Hei Fatt Choi or even Selamat Tahun Baru Cina, and in case you are still in doubt as to whether making the balik kampong is worthwhile trip, just wait for the Petronas advertisement. As for me, I still prefer our version, “Kong Hee Fat Choy to all”, and it is time to go home and celebrate “Chun Jie.” That is, after I braved myself through the sea of Chinese faces at the Beijing airport.

Kampung days CNY, you can't deprived yourself of those Fanta, F&N and Sarsi
PS. I better make a stopover at Beijing WangFuJing and see if I can buy anything right there in the heart of Chinese Chinatown. I will skip the big lanterns, sweet candies, calligraphy, tidbits………..errrrrrrrr what else should I buy then?? Perhaps, I should buy a T shirt with imprints such as “I CAME TO WANGFUJING AND BOUGHT NOTHING CHINESE” or “IS IT CHINESE NEW YEAR IN BEIJING?”

No comments: